Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Fake Candle


The crematorium called this morning. The woman on the phone said that the urn had arrived and that Hilary's ashes had been transferred to it. The urn and Hilary's death certificate were ready to pick up.


Sometime last year we bought one of those fake candles from Amazon.com. It's powered by four "AA" batteries which illuminate the LED "flame." We both loved it because the flicker looked real enough to us and it's perfectly safe around our cats and dogs.


I turned it on every evening. She always joked that I should be careful not to burn my fingers when I "lit" it. And at the end of the evening it was always time to "blow out the candle." We never got sick of these silly jokes, but that's why we belonged together.


Every night when I turned it on, Hilary would always smile and say "Aw." It was just a fake candle but it was something very special to her.


From the many choices of urns, I picked a sable-colored rectangular urn. I chose it because I knew that our candle would look nice on top of it. Hilary's favorite necklace is draped around the candle and it also holds our wedding rings.


Our candle rests atop the urn on Hilary's coffee table in front Hilary's couch. Her purple UGG slippers are on the floor and her robe is draped over her spot on the couch.


I'm going to "light" our candle every night.


When I do, I'll bet she'll be smiling down on me from above.



No comments:

Post a Comment